Are You Blogging Right? 5 Tips From the Pros
- Image by Randy Stewart via Flickr
Obviously all of the contributors on Top of Mind are bloggers. And I am guessing that a fair number of the readers are bloggers too. I don’t know about you, but I often wonder if I am doing it right. So, I took a little time last night to research that question: “How do you blog better?”
Here is what I found:
1. Write to be Helpful – This is the number one tip from Chris Brogan’s 10 Blogging Tips and I think it says it all. Blogs are simple publications and no one subscribes to a newspaper or magazine with gaining some value from it. Decide early on how you are going to help your readers and be true to that objective with every post.
2. Conquer Your Fear of Blogging - This is another goodie from Chris Brogan. Much like sales has phone anxiety; a lot of beginning bloggers have a fear of blogging. Will my post be good enough? What if I make a grammar or factual error? What is no one shows up? Guess what? Every blogger experiences each of these. Blogging is a growing and evolving experience for the author. Jump in! You will get better with age.
3. Learn to Build an Audience - Readers are humans, not stats in your Web analytics. Don’t forget that, it will go a long way towards your success in attracting and gaining their loyalty. We that being said lets look at the number one factor in building a strong audience on your blog-consistency. That’s right; people are driven by normalcy and habits. For a blogger that means delivering focused, consistent, predictable content. Of course that doesn’t mean boring. It just means you are posting regularly, on a similar concept, and using a predictable format.
(I swear I will quote someone other than Chris Brogan in a minute, but he is a master!)
4. Teach Your Readers to Subscribe - Very few people know what RSS is, even less know how to use it. However, increasing your subscriber base it critical to long-term blogging success. So, teach your readers to subscribe. Then make it easy and obvious.
5. Learn a Little SEO - “If a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound if no one is there?” This is the sad state of many new blogs. You should learn a little bit about amplifying your blog and cornerstone posts in the search engines. This is the modern online marketing megaphone-learn the basics of how SEO works.
I don’t profess to be an expert (that is why I consulted the experts), but I do know that blogging can be a great business development and lead nurturing tool for your mortgage business. That is why I do and would encourage you as well to do a little reading on how to improve this marketing strategy.
What are your tips on better blogging? Who are your favorite blogging mentors? Please leave a comment and help us all get a bit better.